Sunday, May 25, 2008

Troubles in Paradise, MacGyver to save the day.

It all started when I had troubles downloading the files required for the course. My school bans the downloading of files and my speed at home is slow. I have 26kb dial-up. The dial-up is so slow that files will not download. How can I get the files I need in order to do the course.

Here's what I did, McGyver, I mean. I had a friend email me the files after he downloaded them on his highspeed. However, when my friend emailed them to me, my span filter refused them. So he could not send them to me. I am stuck in the same predicament. What to do. I decided to have him download Winzip and then winzip it. Winzip allows the file name to change and compress it so its a win win situation. If this didn't work I asked him to simply rename the file to hide it. If he changed the file ending from .exe to say .aaa, the email would not block it. I could then simply receive it, download it, and rename it to the executable file that it was (.exe). Well guys, this MacGyver has done it all now that I have the files so keep watching for many more updates as I learn more and more how to problem solve my unique situation living and working where the speed of sound is still faster!

Hank

Once again, here is my POD CAST.
http://www.gcast.com/u/hankhill2008/main

1 comment:

Glen said...

That seems like a very painful process. Downloading Firefox literally takes one minute with a decent connection. I recognize that there are special circumstances in your situation and I applaud your efforts and ingenuity at figuring out work arounds.